A sitz bath is a warm, shallow bath people sit in to cleanse the perineum. The perineum is the space between the rectum and the vulva or the scrotum.
It is done to provide relief from pain or itching in the genital area as well as provide/assist in wound healing in that area and reduce irritation felt due to various health conditions.
Reasons/Indications For Sitz Bath.
Sitz bath in warm water increases blood flow to perineal area and this promotes fast healing. It also reduces bacterial and fecal contamination of the perineal area
- It can be used for hemorrhoids/ pile: Hemorrhoids or pile are swollen veins located in the lower rectum and anus. Sitz bath can help reduce pain and swelling caused by hemorrhoids. If it has been removed surgically, sitz bath can also help relieve discomfort and pain that may be felt after the surgery.
- For postpartum recovery: This occurs when you have a vaginal birth or a C-section. Sitz bath can help relieve pain and swelling and promote healing after episiotomy repair.
- For Bartholin cysts: This is a type of cyst that can form in the labia near the opening of the vagina. Sitz bath promotes healing after cyst drainage.
- For annual fissures: This is a tear which is located in the lining of the annals or anal canal. The pain felt comes from muscles spasm caused by the anal fissure. Sitz birth can help these muscles to relax and help in healing the area over time.
- To relieve Constipation/diarrhea
- Ease prostate pain during prostatitis or after a procedure.
- Help ease period cramps.
- help to relieve soreness, burning, and inflammation.
How To Use Sitz Bath.
You can make use of the bathtub or a sitz bath kit;
Using a bathtub:
- Fill the bath with a quarter full of warm water.
- Add a large quantity of salt
- Sit in the tub for up to 20-30 mins, make sure your private area is covered with the water, adding more water as needed to keep it warm.
- Do not add shower gel, bubble bath, or any type of soap.
- Don’t scrub or rub the area
- Afterwards, gently Pat yourself dry with a soft towel then clean the tub and wash your hands properly.
Using a sitz bath kit:
The sitz bath kit includes a plastic bag with a tube attached to dispense water into the basin.-
- Clean the basin well, fill the plastic bag with warm water, and add salt.
- Put the basin on the toilet bowl then put down the seat
- Sit in the basin and use the tube to fill it with enough water to cover the perineum.
- As the water cools down, add more water from the bag as needed.
- When finished, Pat dry the perineum with a clean dry towel.
- Clean and dry the basin, and wash your hands.
- Do not use hot water to avoid burns and injury.
- Do not scrub the anal or perineal area during the sitz bath to avoid irritation.
- Do not add bubble bath or soap to avoid minor inflammation.
- Do not sitz bath in an open wound except prescribed by the doctor.
- If you notice any redness or swelling during the sitz bath usage, stop and inform the doctor or go to the hospital as soon as you can.
- Only use an antiseptic as prescribed by the health care provider.