FACTS ABOUT IN VITRO FERTILIZATION
- IVF is a natural process. A lot of people believe that IVF is an artificial process. This is false. The difference between IVF and traditional conception is that fertilization takes place outside of the body. After the egg has been fertilized by the sperm, the embryo is implanted back into the uterus and the patient carries the pregnancy to term naturally.
- IVF babies are not born with birth defects. IVF does not increase the chances of babies having birth defects. Countless studies on the subject have proved it without a doubt. IVF pregnancies are safe.
- IVF is not a “cure all” for all fertility issues. IVF does not work for every infertility case. There are different fertility treatments available for different causes of infertility. IVF is just one of the most common ones. This is why it is advisable to consult a fertility expert when you are ready to start a family. A fertility expert will run some tests and if you are in need of fertility treatment, the best option for you will be selected.
- IVF is not excessively expensive. IVF procedures are more affordable than a lot of people think they are. There are different fertility clinics in Nigeria that offer quality fertility treatment including IVF. If you do some research, it will be very difficult not to find one that does not match your budget. However, make sure that price is not the dominant factor when you opt for a fertility clinic. You must consider the clinic’s success rates, specialists as well as how they treat their patients. Do not pick a fertility clinic just because their prices are low. Some fertility clinics also offer payment plans for their clients to make it easier on them.
- IVF does not require a Caesarean section. All IVF procedure will not result to the patient having a Caesarean section. It is not a part of the process. Normal vaginal delivery is more common during IVF than Caesarean sections.
- IVF is not guess work. It is an extremely delicate technique. Only certified fertility clinics are licensed to carry out this procedure. It is a form of treatment recommended by fertility experts after thoroughly studying the reasons behind the patient’s infertility case. It is a procedure backed by decades of research and advancement in the medical field. The success rate of IVF for patients under 35 years is a little above 40%.
- IVF is not successful 100% of the time. Millions of couples have achieved their goals of starting a family thanks to IVF. It is not always successful. It has a high success rate but like other medical solutions underlying issues may hinder its success. Sometimes after a few more tries it can be successful. Other times it may not.
- You cannot choose to get pregnant at any age using IVF. IVF can be used to treat some age related fertility cases but it is not a guarantee that you can choose to get pregnant at any age based on that. Fertility decreases as a woman gets older. This because the quality of the eggs decreases and it also gets more difficult for women over the age of 40 to carry a successful pregnancy. If you would like to get pregnant later on, it would be a good idea to talk to your fertility doctor about preserving your eggs when you are younger.
- IVF can also be used to treat male related fertility. Infertility issues are not always from the woman. Low sperm counts, low quality of sperm cells are some fertility issues that affect men. IVF increases chances of fertilization and can be used successfully for male related fertility issues. When visiting a fertility doctor, it is a good idea to go with your partner so both of you can be tested.
- You could need an IVF procedure even if you have spontaneously conceived before. It is not uncommon for women who have had one or more children previously without any help to use IVF if they want to conceive again. Remember, fertility decreases with age. Other factors could also arise between one pregnancy and the next.
- IVF does not necessarily mean multiple births. Sometimes more than one embryo is implanted into the womb to increase chances of a successful pregnancy. This may lead to multiple births. However, you can always choose to implant one of the healthiest embryos to avoid the risk of multiple pregnancies. It is not a requirement to implant more than one embryo.
- IVF does not cause any form of cancer. Ovarian stimulation is a process in the IVF procedure. Ovarian stimulation has been thought to cause cancer. Studies have debunked this claim. IVF absolutely does not cause cancer.
Are you and your partner considering In Vitro Fertilization? We hope this article has cleared any myths you may have heard about the procedure. You can contact us at Procare Hospital and Diagnostics for a consultation with one of our fertility experts. We would love to have you.